Maya And The Tough Guy (Big Girl Panties Book 2) - Carter Ashby

Cover: 5
Plot: 3
Characters: 4

Overall Rating: 3

Maya and the Tough Guy was a very emotional read for me. The heroine Maya was physically and mentally abused for most of her life starting from her father and then to her husband.

The book starts off with a flashback from the past and how Maya met her husband Damon, and after that is the present where Maya was going through her divorce with him. Jayce was another character I also loved because he was so loving and caring, and looks like a tough guy, but has a heart of gold.

Jayce and Maya had a historytogether and I loved how here in this book it was the guy who was in love with the heroine for a longer time. Jayce was really sweet and doing everything to help Maya get back to her feet by giving her a job, helping her with her kids and by agreeing to her to have a no-strings attached relationship.

[spoiler]
One thing that really bothered me was when Maya's son Mattie told Jayce that he was also physically abused by his father. Jayce's reaction was very nice and he was trying to comfort Mattie, but the thing that bothered me was that after that chapter nothing about Mattie's abuse was mentioned anymore. Child Abuse is not something to be taken lightly and I just wished that although the book was centered around Maya and Jayce's relationship, the author could have at least given some focus on Mattie too. [/spoiler]

Maya as said before has been mentally and physically abused ever since her childhood so she had reservations on enterimg a new relationship but doesn't have any if it's going to be a no-strings attached kind of thing. I know what Maya weent through was tough but sometimes the way she treats Jayce was really harsh. I believe that being a victim is a matter of choice you could choose to be one or choose to become a survivor.

That was what was lacking in Maya from the start of the book. She was scared and timid, lettinf people walk over her so she was a victim. But later on, she didn't take bullshit from anybody and learned to stand up for herself then she became a survivor.

The romance between Jayce and Maya was sizzling but at times it was getting too repititive. I don't think this book was meant to be Erotica but the amount of sex scenes would make you think otherwise. I guess if the sex scenes were lessened, the book could've been able to focus more on the important things like what I wrote in my spoiler. Overall Maya and The Tough Guy was a good read but not something really spectacular.

Received digital edition exchange for an honest review

Source: http://bibliophilicmadness.blogspot.com/2015/01/review-maya-and-tough-guy.html#more